Innovation Youth Children's library
This role exists to run the francisation programs for children 3-12 years old within Innovation Youth Children’s library.
Innovation Youth Children’s Library operates under Innovation Youth, which is one of Christian Direction’s urban ministries located in Peter-Mcgill district. The vision of the Innovation Youth Children’s Library is to offer children the space and resources for expression, exploration, and skills-building within a supportive community-centred framework. This person will run the after-school program for children ages 6-12 which includes the french-learning program. They will also animate and coordinate our kindergarten preparation program, “Marelle à la Maternelle”.
The assistant animator reports to the Innovation Youth Coordination Team.
Title – Children’s programs facilitator
Projected Starting Date – October 2021
Work Schedule – 35h/week (must be available Mondays to Thursdays until 6pm, and some Saturdays (9-12)
Status: Contract (30 weeks) with possibility of renewal
Salary – $17- 19.23/hr based on experience
Location – Innovation Youth, 2205 Rue Tupper
● Attending weekly staff check-ins and prayer meetings, Christian Direction staff meetings and other supplementary training.
● Support Christian Direction team fundraising efforts.
Coordinate (including planning and animation) activities in French for the library’s afterschool program for children ages 6-12, and a weekly francisation session for pre-kindergarten children ages 3-5.
● Maintain contact and good relationships with parents, school and community partners.
● Assist occasionally with other library programming for kids ages 3-12
● Participate in program evaluation meetings
● Help with set-up/take-down of physical space
Help maintain the Library collection: reshelve books, edit catalogue entries, label and cover books, repair books, update book displays,
● Assist patrons during library hours to borrow/return books and find books in the collection; add new patrons to the Library system; and note any requested books and communicate with the library coordinator.
● Develop a rubric, in collaboration with the library coordinator, school, and parents, to assess the participants’ academic and social development through the programs.
● Host workshops for parents covering topics such as the Quebec school system and welcome class, how to support learning at home, neighbourhood resources for families, etc.
Qualifications, Education, and experience required
● Bilingual in French and English (spoken and written)
● Experience animating programs for children
● Experience with newly landed immigrants (asset)
● Experience in French as a Second Language (FSL) instruction (asset)
● Experience working with kids in the educational or community development sector(s).
● Must be comfortable working within a team environment
● College/University-level education in a related field
Christian Direction is a registered Christian charity and recognized religious order in Quebec. The appropriate Candidate wil also meet the following requirements:
▪ Committed to Christ and who affirms the Nicene Creed.
▪ Committed to a life animated by the Spirit and spiritual disciplines (i.e. community, simplicity, and witness).
▪ Strong sense of vocation and integration of faith and work.
▪ Team player and team builder, participating in the life and spirituality of the team.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.